Monday, May 14, 2012

Respecting the value of "Just Walking"

Yesterday, I woke up sore and little tired from working on the roof , cleaning the gutters and from a little harder running.  So I decided to just walk for 2 hours instead of a run/walk.  The morning was nice not cold,not hot as I walked from home to the trails.  I walked steady,not hard or super fast and not slow.....just good and steady.  I got to thinking "Is this training??"

As Arthur Newton, 1920-30's distance runner observed, walking does not make one a better runner.  However, it does make one a better walker...AND if I am ever going to do another ultra race I will walk ALOT.  In fact, in a 100 miler I will need to walk at least 60% of the time, probably more.  The pace does not need to be fast, 15:30 to 16:30 pace is good.

So I walked a course going up as many hills as we got on the trails course.  My heartrate was low, in the 80's, and my feet felt good.  I finished my estimated 7.2 miles in just under 2 hours w/ avg. HR of 87.  This equals 1450 heart  beats per mile, which is good for me.

I did not run at all yesterday.....probably a good thing for my legs.  Just walking is okay with me now.  I used to never walk or at least run/walk.  With being basicly injured for the past 7 years I've learned to enjoy walking.  Now I respect the "walk".....there is a place in "training" for walking.  (Of cousre, hiking in the mountains would be nice to do everyday, but that's for another post).  

Maybe, I'll extend my "just walking" to 3 to 4 hours but I need to be creative in my route unless I want to drive to a nicer course/trail.....we will see but I need to watch my running totals and maybe "just walking" will do the treat and along the way help me to a new level of fitness.

1 comment:

  1. For ultra training, "time on feet" is very important. If that means lots of walking, no problem.

    ReplyDelete