Sunday, May 8, 2011

Training - Living in the Present - a surprise

Its been awhile since I've posted. Busy at week getting ready for summer. And last week, a little down week mileage wise for me ( 37). My weight and eating habits got a little bad but not "off the wagon" bad so today I run 9.5 miles this morning with gregg/chris AFTER eating a large thin crust pizza last night AFTER only 5 miles yesterday and yard work all day, I was not expecting a good run. I was sore in the back, in the arms, legs, hamstrings.

The plan was a 2 hour run with walking. I hope this becomes a standard weekend long run. Years ago I did lots of 2 hour runs, about 15 miles way back then, now working towards 10 miles. My morning pulse was 41, a surprise after yesterday and 7 hours of sleep.

The run pattern was a standard for me lately. walk 5 mins then run 50 mins w/ a 1min walk every 10 mins, then walk to the end of the 5 mile loop, finished about 58mins. gregg finished a little ahead and chris right by me, having already run 5 miles early. gregg and chris were done so I went on for 62 more mins finishing walking 5 mins each mile running the rest, averaging 13m10s for each mile, finishing with a 6min walk. all in all an okay long run. I sweat but was not dehydrated.

I hope this 2 hour run/walk becomes a summer long weekend session, but covering more and more mileage as I get in shape and my weight continues to come off.

Now to my surprise, I shower then weight myself = 211 lbs!!....this was a surprise because I have ate alot of calories the last 2-3 weeks but I guess I controlled it enough. A continued key is to NOT eat lunch...eating lunch only makes me eat a larger super, not a smaller supper.

I still have 11 lbs to go to make weight for the Lake Mingo Trail run and 5 weeks to do it so it's doable. I'm running faster, having run 1.7miles in 15:32@152hr on thursday AM, so things are getting faster and my foot is doing good, sore yes, but not pain.

Summary:
miles in April = 237.3
missed 1 day in April
year to date miles = 758.4

3 comments:

  1. You have 5 weeks to lose 11 pounds...done deal! I may have to join you at Lake Mingo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,
    I can't believe I found you. I knew when I found the Riddle run, it had to be you. I only learned of your parents passing a few months ago. I had no idea, I don't get the paper, I certainly would have come. I spoke with your mom on the phone a couple of years ago and she mailed me some old pictures of us in your back yard, which I copied and mailed back to her. I'll email them to you if you give me an email address. I'd love to hear what's going on in your life. Email me sometime and lets catch up. I'm still in Madisonville, married with two grown children. My email address is pmccalister@hotmail.com. Hope to hear from you. Patti Porter McCalister

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, patti, the internet is something else. I will email you, I live in mahomet, Illinois, married with 2 grown kids, sounds familar.

    obviously, I still love to run.

    Jeff
    riddle@illinois.edu

    ReplyDelete