Saturday, June 11, 2011

Racing vs Training

Sat June 11, 2011

Ever since I started running I've had a love/hate relationship with racing. When in good shape I like to race and it brings the best out of me, as I use the other race participants to push me to my best. BUT, on the other hand, sometimes racing would get in the way of good training. What I mean is the tapper before and the rest after keeps me from doing what I love the most, which is to run.

In the last few months as my training got better and better, and losing 25 lbs, as I got in my best shape in 4 years, I began to think about racing again. I knew I did not want to race an ultra or a marathon yet, but a shorter race.

So, today I run the Lake Mingo Trial race of 7.1 miles. I've run it several times in the past, my best being 61 mins in 2003. 2 weeks ago in hot/humid and very wet/muddy conditions I ran 88 mins and felt pretty bad.

Confusion time, I've not under 200lbs, I stopped at about 210lbs but thats ok, as if I truly want to keep losing weight plateau's are healthy and normal. After the race, I'll start another period of 8 weeks weigh lost program to get me thru the summer. We will see.

My plan is to start the race at the back but I may change that at the start...I'll see how my warmup is and go from there. It will be good to see old friends and see how I do. A bonus is my son is also racing for the first time in 7 years, since high school.

After the race I'll get back to miles and with me being off next week to work at home, maybe I'll shot for 10 miles a day????.......but right now, its race time!!

1 comment:

  1. 10 miles a day next week? Sounds like racing is motivating your training!

    ReplyDelete