Sunday, June 12, 2011

Lake Mingo Trial race - 7.1 miles

Well, I ran my first race of any kind since April 2007, the Lake Mingo Trail race of 7.1 miles.

It was my first race less than an ultra distance since 9/24/2006 (and I speed walked that one). In looking at my log books my last marathon and under race that I actaully raced was Sept 2004 at Wild Wilderness trail 7.6 mile race in 66:23.

I ran 80:20 (11:19 pace) at 158 HR average. I finished 149 of 259. It was fun and just like it was in 2004, you run as fast as you can, using other people around you to push you, pace you or hold you back. There were other "buffalo" who were racing Mingo for the first time in a while. Tom, Duane and Marty....somehow, all three of these guys thought they would start at the back, and that is where I started too....so we took off and within 100 feet stopped as the start narrows quickly. before the first mile there is a big downhill, and with the course slick with mud, in-experienced runners stopped and tip-toed down so we (all 4 of us) went around them and flew/slide down the hill.

Then, it became apparant, these 3 guys, who are all way faster then me, were at least going to run together and all I had to do was try to keep up. We ran steady but the effert did not seem to create very fast mile splits, but then again, this is mingo and it was humid (not hot, thank goodness) and slick mud created interesting up/down hills. We traded back and fore the lead of the pack...and it started to get fun...especially after the 2nd aid station where there seemed to be no one in front or behind us...each of us pushed to keep the other 3 going...every once and awhile we would catch and pass someone...at 5.5 miles we finished the trail and started the flater grass/dirt access road then across the dam. At the last aid station, I took a sip of Curt's special whiskey for the first time(oh my, strongest drink I ever touched) I quickly got water on my head and took off. I seemed to get out of the aid stations quickly, so I paced the group to the last grass path until the open field, when Duane, Tom and Marty stepped it up a notch leading me to the finish line.

WOW, that was fun, racing is racing and it felt the same as when I ran 61:10 in 2003.

Jason was at the finish, he ran good, 60:47, 34th overall of about 250, which broke my family record. He seemed pleased. Brandon, his friend from high school, ran 52 mins, 9th overall...he would have run faster if he had not took off so much time since his marathon, but he is learning his long runs can carry you a long way for shorter races.

A few observations:
1. Mingo course is tough, hardest short race I've run.
2. Too many people spent too long at aid stations...even Jason noticed that to me.
3. races are overall slower than they used to 10 years ago, definitely slower than 20-30 years ago.
4. many people in the back of the pack do not know how to go downhills.
5. Racing, when fit, and not over doing it, is fun...I doubt neither of the 4 of us could have run as fast as without it other.

I do not know exactly when my next race will be but I'm thinking its time for a road 5K to see where I'm at...5k's are hard, long distance sprint....for now back to regular running, a refocus on my diet and work.

3 comments:

  1. Good to have you back in the running and racing mode. Keep it up and don't push too hard...but you can probably pick up the pace a little on those Tuesday morning trail runs. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob!!BUFFALO!!

    Chris, I think my legs are still tired from the race, then from the work at home, hard physical labor is hard work....and maybe I need to do more faster shorter speedwork to get the leg turn over quicker.

    ReplyDelete