Sunday, June 26, 2011

Living in the Present: Weight, Training and Racing??

Weight:
I confess to not weighting myself in a long time like several weeks. So yesterday, after doing a 2 hours run I weighted. I was surprised to be 209, tied for lowest yet. The previous time was after 20 miles at Clinton Lake back in the spring. I have ate too much junk food/high calories in the last several weeks but overall seem to be holding steady.

I'm now at the point I was when in 2003 I lost 27 lbs to 182 during the UI research study diet. Can I redicate myslef to do that again?? That would take me until August 20.

Training:
This area has been going well and I'm now hitting the familar summer heat/humidity conditions that reminds me of how tough summer is on your running.

So far this year is as follows:

Jan-
week 1=43, 2=40,3=36,4=36
Jan total=162
Feb-
wk 5=23, 6=28,7=22, 8=42
Feb total=126
March-
wk 9=49, 10=52, 11=52, 12=54
March total = 232
April-
wk 13=66, 14=54, 15=61, 16=62, 17=37
April total =237
May -
wk 18=51, 19=62, 20=53, 21=54
May total = 238
June -
wk 22 = 34, 23 = 38, 24 = 72, 25 = 54

One more week in June and I'm on a solid, for me, 2400 mile year total. This includes my walking. I'm doing about 25-35 miles of running with a high of 50 running.

My run pattern is the same as usual: very easy on M, W, F, easy to medium to tempo on T, TH, Sun with adjustments for a max 2 hours long run/walk on Sat during the hot summer months. This has been good decision. I'm almost at 10 miles for the 2 hours. On Tuesday PM's I've been doing 1min fast runs up to 8min pace x 6-8 of them with 1 min walk rest in between. These have been on the treadmill. My foot has been a bit sore after so I must listen closely. Going fast (for me )is NOT worth the pain in my foot coming back and then not runing. For now I'll keep doing the faster short runs on a week to week basis as my foot goes with a possible alternate workout of half-mile's in 4:40 (9:20 pace)- my estimated 5K race pace.

Actually, I know I'll get faster with no change in running if I continue to lost weight. Losing another 20+ lbs will get me down to consistent sub 10 min miles.

My resting pulse is regularly down in the low 40's(41 this morning). This is down from 48-52 about 6-8months ago.

Future plans and racing:

I plan on a 5K or two this summer. This will tell me where I am in basis fitness. I'll admit that racing a 5K scares me, its a long distance sprint for me.
Later in the Fall, maybe another trail race or two, shorter than marathon distance.
Long range into winter and next year(as long as foot/knee) holds, running the LBL trail marathon in March. Then re-access where I am.

For now, I'm going to enjoy the summer, be consistent and hope I never take for granted painfree running.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of your resting HR (low 40s). Is that an odd thing to be jealous about?

    Keep up the consistent training. You are looking at more racing and I'm looking at less racing. Yin and yang. I think I have some bad allergies or a cold coming on...still feel tired and a little stuffed up in the head and lungs.

    ReplyDelete