Monday, May 28, 2012

1972 to 2012....40 years of The Olympics and Running!!!!!!!!!

In late July into August the London Olympics will be held.    The olympics are special for me because in Sept of 1972 (40 years ago) ABC sports decided to show the entire mens marathon on live TV.  As an impressenable 14 year old I sat in amazement as Frank Shorter ran 5 min mile after 5min mile.  He surged at mile 9 and never looked back, winning the gold medal.....Frank Shorter, because of the TV exposure and being from the USA, brought forth the running boom that started me running and thousands of others.  Although it was 4 years before I ever ran a race, I ran every day in the fall, spring and summer....I thought that winter was too cold to run outside so it was not until 1976 that I ran year round.  I ran in long blue jeans w/ no shirt and black chuck taylor converse basketball shoes.  My first run in shorts was summer 1976 1 month before my first race.

Running was something I loved from day one, and still love to this day.  I can honestly say I've never had a boring run.  I feel like the luckiest guy in the world, being able to do what I love to do every day.  What else could someone wish for.  In 2005 I had my first very bad injury where I could not run.  I remember the first Buffalo run of the year I thought I would just walk , at least I could see everyone and talk.  Well, I felt out of place, and as the "buffalo" ran off down the trail I walked from behind quickly and it hit me, I could not run, and I missed something that I had taken for granted.  I stopped and watched them go...I walked over to my car and drove home, and had myself a little cry.

Well, in the 7 years since I have learned to value movement, whether it running, walking or hiking.  As I celebrate my 40th year of running, may some impressable kids somewhere watch the 2012 olympics and find there own love of running.

5 comments:

  1. Walking, jogging, hiking, running...it's all good. Of course, running is better, but the others are good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Chris' comment. It's all good. Just keep moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. patti (porter) mccalisterJune 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM

    Hey Jeff, just checking in on you. How is your bunch? All fine here. I've been doing a lot of walking at a pretty brisk pace. Can't really run much anymore. We spent last weekend with our kids in lexington. Spent the night at the castle Friday night. That was great. Then toured Three Chimneys Horse Farm on Saturday. Is your daughter still out of the country? I followed her blog for a while. She must be pretty special!
    Like you, I'm anxious for the Olympics. I just love the summer games. Hope you are doing well. Keep in touch.
    patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patti, we are doing well, all working and living. Tanya will be home by Thanksgiving, thank goodness, she has been a little sick lately. Her boyfriend visits in August. She is not able to blog as much, without good access to a computer. Our son and wife bought first house, which is exciting for them. she is a kindergarden teacher.
    I'm still trying to run, but any faster runs leave me hurting in the feet and legs, so I walk/run alot.
    Take care, we plan to go my mom/dad gravesite in Sept, maybe 22nd on way back from vacation in the Smoky Mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to see you and meet your wife. If it works out give me a call and I'll meet you.
    I'll email you my number closer to that time. We are vacationing in September too. Florida

    ReplyDelete