Monday, February 21, 2011

Bodyweight issues - I'm Obese!!

For the past 30+ years I 've had weight issues.

I'm simply too heavy to run well and race up to my abilities. I first gained about 30 lbs in 1990...I blame myself, the stress of life, 2 young kids, first year as an architect, working a lot, financial stresses, all common things for most people. So, I ate alot, alot of comfort food.

From 1981 to 1989 I was 155 to 165 lbs. I ran 8-10 miles a day.

In 1990, I was reduced to many days of no running....a standard diet was cearal in the morning, then pizza at work, then a big meal at night. My weight was up to 195-200.

For the next 13 years, it stayed about that and my running was consistent about 50 miles a week. Ocassionally, I would lose down to 187-190 in the summer, but quickly go back up to 200 and sometimes higher until I reached 214 in March 2003. I had to do something.

I was able to get in a UI diet study for men. It was a 8 week study and I was in a group that ate 19 servings of food for 1700 calories. I lost 33 lbs down to 182. It was the easier diet I ever did. My waist when from 40" to 34". My chorestrol when from 246 to 165.

Gradually, I gained it back by returning to my huge eating habits. Then, in 2005, I hurt my knee and I had to stop running for awhile, almost 1 1/2 years+. By 2006, I weighted in the 230's and when on a juice fast diet, where I lost 47lbs in 30 days. It was an interesting experience and learned alot about my body. But, again, I slowly returned to my old habits and by weight returned to the 230's, getting as high as 250.....you get the picture, I have an issue.

So that leads me to now, at 236 lbs, my feet and knees are better than ever, but my health is effected by being this heavy. I want to lose weight, I know how to do it, but it will take a honest full committment that means a lifestyle change forever. Here is what I know I need to do:
1. eat 1700 calories a day of good balanced moderate diet w/ less fat and sugar.
2. no fast food, zero, none...I am addicted to fast food and like an alcholic, I can not eat just one slice of pizza, or one scoop of ice cream or one hamburger, etc, etc.
3. it will take about 2-3 weeks to transition to feeling strong again, so I must endure a weaker time.
4. weight myself every morning.
5. record everything, including pulse while training.
6. burn 800 calories a day on average thru exercise (this has never been a problem)

So this has lead me to 30 in 60 (30lbs in 60 days).....Day 1 was today.

1 comment:

  1. I'd suggest also measuring your waist. Maybe ask Mom to do it each week. That could be another reinforcement and a good measurement of overall progress considering weight levels fluctuate so much based on water/hydration.

    I think the hardest part will be #2. Turn off the commercials when they come on, tell people ahead of time your eating differently so they don't inadvertantly encourage, etc.

    When I see you next, I'll have to show you these "SuperGreens" I got (since you don't eat natural green vegitables). You may want to look into it as part of your diet.

    Good luck Dad!

    ReplyDelete